Our annual Fall Family Festival will be held this Friday, October 28, from 5 to 8 pm. The Silent Auction opens at 4:00. We look forward to seeing all of our families and friends there. All proceeds from the event help fund field trips, the Playworks program and other student enrichment opportunities. If you have a particular interest or want to help with set-up or tear down, please contact the HSC office or email Kristin Gippetti at kristingippettihsc [at] gmail.com. Thank you, as always, for your support.
Our Health Office is seeking donations of boy's and girl's pants (sizes 5-8). Pants with elastic waistbands are especially preferred. Please bring your donations to the office. Thank you.
At the September 20 Strategic Planning Special Session, Governing Board members and 30 participants representing the district’s stakeholders—from students and parents, to employees and community agencies— met to discuss progress and next steps toward achieving the District’s strategic goals.
In one activity, the group identified perceived strengths in the district since the last Strategic Planning Session. To see the list, click on the e-flyer link on this page. For more about the District's Strategic Plan, go to campbellusd.org/strategicplan.
Castlemont students have the opportunity to participate in our school-wide Halloween Parade on Monday, October 31, at 8:30 am.
Please keep the following items at home:
· Full face masks, swords, guns or other weapons (even if they are part of the costume)
· Save face make-up and hair color for your evening celebrations.
Students are encouraged to come to school ready for the parade with an appropriate costume and regular clothing on underneath. After the parade, children will remove their costume and regular instruction will begin.
Parents who would like to view the parade can do so from the blacktop area. So, bring your cameras and/or video recorders and enjoy the show!
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming soon: November 14th - November 18th. Reading for pleasure inside and outside of school has real and long-lasting benefits. It unlocks the power of information and imagination and helps children discover who they are. Supporting our school’s Book Fair is one way to give your child these benefits. Our Scholastic Book Fair is a reading event that brings the books kids want to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
The Book Fair will be held in our school library from November 14th through November 18th. For fair hours and event information, you can visit:
Can’t visit the Fair? Online shopping will be available from November 5th through November 18th. Click the link on our fair website. Interested in volunteering for the Book Fair? Even just a couple of hours can make a BIG difference! We're using VolunteerSpot to organize our Sign-ups. Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our Sign-Up on VolunteerSpot: https://signup.com/group/675172770036
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on
For Oct. 31 – Nov. 4: Schools will dismiss students earlier to provide parents more opportunities for school progress discussions with teachers.
Please note the special release schedule shown below and plan accordingly.
For the week of Oct. 31–Nov. 4
Grades TK-3 at 12:30 p.m.
Grades 4-5 at 12:35 p.m.
Everyone loves a good scare on Halloween, but not when it comes to child safety. There are several easy and effective behaviors that parents can share with kids to help reduce their risk of injury while trick or treating.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers, and if possible, choose light colors.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- WALK and don't run from house to house.
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Don't assume cars can see you -- drivers may have trouble seeing Trick-or-Treaters. Just because one car stops, doesn't mean others will!
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible. Plan routes to cross as few intersections as possible.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks when available.
On average, children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween than on any other day of the year. For more information, visit https://www.safekids.org/tip/halloween-safety-tips.
Preparatations have begun for our annual Fall Book Fair to help motivate students to read more. Join our volunteer group and help us plan and conduct our school’s best reading event ever! Join us if you …
· like to organize and put things in place
· enjoy offering a helping hand, setting up, or packing up
· like to help serve food and refreshments
· want to help shoppers of all ages find the perfect book
Our volunteer sign up website will be active very soon. The Book Fair will be open November 14-18. Please contact Valerie at valerie.rountree [at] yahoo.com or text 408-849-5540 for more information or to volunteer. We appreciate your support in whatever form it takes.
The Yearbook Staff invites Castlemont families and staff to submit photos for the yearbook. If you've got great photos of recent school and community events such as: first day of school, family picnic, back to school night, Applebee's Faculty Fundraiser, we'd like to see them. You can continue to submit photos throughout the year. There are still many upcoming events: Fall Family Festival, Halloween Parade, Book Fairs, Field Trips, Jog-a-Thon, classroom activities, etc. Help us get as many photos as possible to create a terrific book everyone will want to have. Here is how you can submit photos online:
• Go to: https://images.memoryebooks.com/login
• If it does not automatically log you into the site, enter username: 406213609
• Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload.
• Enter information about the photo and provide contact information in case the staff needs additional
• Click "Save Details".
It's that easy! Submit your photos today! The last day to submit photos is April 4, 2017. The Yearbook Staff will review all photos and determine final yearbook content. We cannot guarantee that all submissions can be used in the book.
Thank you, and enjoy your school year!
Laurie Saenz and Kimberly Davis
Birthday Book Club pictures will be taken on Friday, October 21st, 8:30am. Those interested in participating should send in books to classroom teachers by Wednesday, October 19th. Purchase a new hardback book(s) for donation to the Castlemont School Library. Your child may choose one of their favorites, or from “Castlemont BBC” wishlist on Amazon.com . Alternatively, for a $20.00 donation your child may select a book from the cabinet in the library. Please turn in your donations or book when you turn in the form. Any forms received without a book or donation will not be processed. All students are welcome to participate.